Friday, August 31, 2007

Hmmmm...

A curious thing appears to be happening, the more I am practicing my German and speaking to other people around the town and the dorm, who do not speak English very well, the worse my English is becoming. I don't think I have ever noticed this before but I find myself having to consciously go back and add words to written sentences where I know they belong, and would normally have placed them. Pronouns and other simple words are beginning to disappear from my writing, even when they are obviously needed. Verbs are no longer being conjugated properly but used only in the present tense.
I have always prided myself on being able to write in well formed intelligible sentences, and this is a skill I am not willing to lose. Hopefully with conscious effort I will be able to regain and keep the skill I pride myself on doing unconsciously.

PS: I talked to another girl here and she said she has noticed the same thing is occurring in her writing when she is sending emails home. I guess that is a positive thing that it is not only effecting me, but if anyone has tricks on how not to let a new language by full immersion mess up your old languages, please drop me a comment.