Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Birthday Party


I met several more people today and had a chance to get out of the dorm for a bit to help Alina (left) celebrate her birthday with Pimm's & Cake at the park along the Neckar. I had fun, but at the same time it was also sad for me, because most of the people I have met will be leaving on Saturday.
Classes at this school start every Monday with people staying from 2 weeks up to 1 year, and the students come from all over. Normally students arrive the day before thier classes start on saturday and leave on Saturday when their classes end. Because of misinformation I arrived about 2 weeks early so I will take some time to relax and maybe travel a bit before my classes start (once i get over this jetlag).
Most of the students here in the dorm speak English, some speak 3 or 4 languages. All of the students on this floor are here to study German at the language school, although a few admit to me that they have not used it outside of the school, because they have been able to use English in most places with ease. The park along the river is quiet nice, there were a lot of people out enjoying the sun in the late afternoon. There were children playing soccer, and dogs catching balls, even a few people with frisbees. Maybe this will be a good place to study outside of my closet-sized dorm room...

- For those who are not familiar with Pimm's it is sweet alcoholic beverage, served mixed with fruit & sprite (or lemonade as they call it here), after finishing your drink you can savor the flavor even longer wit the strawberries & bananas which by now are fully saturated with the drink.