Thursday, September 20, 2007

Feeling Short

Today has not been a good day. To begin I was almost run over by a trash truck that made a wide turn and went up onto the sidewalk as i was leaving my house. It almost took out me and the fence of the person who lives on the corner. Then I run to catch the trolley after my near death experience and I get there as the doors are closing and the trolley driver will not reopen them for me, so I have to wait 8 minutes for the next one. This leaves me running for the school when I finally arrive at the trolley stop downtown. I get into class just before the teacher, and decide today is the day I will buy a bicycle.

So, after class the weather is nice I take the trolley to the other side of town where the used bike store is and check out some bikes. Unfortunately it appears adults in Germany are not expected to be 5’ tall because all of the bikes are much to tall for me, I can't reach the peddles let alone the ground. So I ask if they have any large kids bikes, and he takes me to the upstairs room where they have several assorted kids bikes from toddlers to young teens. I pick out the cheapest large kids size mountain bike. It is only 40€ which I can afford, and it is purple and I love purple. I test ride it in thier little courtyard and it rides well but the seat needs to come up about 3 inches. It also needs a bigger seat, because my hand is larger then the one currently on the bike. So the guy helps me find an adult seat from the cabinet downstairs, but he cannot find the tool he needs to attach the adult seat to the junior bike. So after an hour and a half of hoping the guy can find the tool he finally gives up, and I leave without a bike. I did let him know I would come back in a few days, but in the meanwhile I just feel really short.